Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Medicaid Expansion

I've received many emails and phone calls about some of the hot topics facing Idahoans and the legislature this year, namely the Repeal of the Personal Property Tax, the State Exchange vs. Federal Exchange, Medicaid Expansion and Gun Rights. I have tried to respond to everyone that has contacted me with specific questions, though time is very tight.

Recently, I received a request from someone in my district, asking me to read an article in the Idaho State Journal, written by Dr. Woodhouse, regarding Medicaid Expansion. Here's my response to that request:

I just read the article and wanted to take a few minutes to respond. I know there are many families that need additional help with healthcare costs and even those families that are devastated by those costs. I have participated in many of the fund raisers that Dr. Woodhouse mentioned. However, I also agree with the Governor’s stance that we can’t simply expand without reforming the system. Medicaid, indigent funds and CAT expenses cost this state millions of dollars every year. We are currently covering most of those that would qualify for the expansion, through one of these programs. However, I have issues we the expansion for a couple of reasons.
1. Many of those who qualify and are using Medicaid, abuse the system by not using free or reduced clinics, or urgent care systems, as much as possible. Instead, they use the ER for all of their needs, including minor colds, cuts, bruises, etc., which drive our costs up enormously.
2. The Federal Government is already broke. They do not have the money to cover the expansion, as they have promised…nor should we as a state hold out our hands and ask for funds that would further bankrupt our country. It’s not fiscally responsible.
We need to find a thoughtful and sound way to provide healthcare services for those in need. If managed properly, many more can be helped, without just throwing more money at the situation. More money, doesn’t always equal better solutions. Lets help those in need, by providing an organized and well-managed system, creating a focus on prevention and good health, as well as focusing on responsible use of these benefits.
Thank you so much for being involved and for sending these articles. The more I read and understand, the more I can make a positive difference in the many areas that concern the residents of this great state.

I welcome input and ideas, from everyone, on all of these important issues. I look forward to working with, and for, all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment